Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Proposal Story

After JS, Ben and I were invited with all our friends back to our friend Anthony's apartment since curfew was extended. Ben and I were the first of our group to leave JS. On the drive back I noticed that we were definitely not heading to Cedarville but to Springfield, then I knew exactly where he was taking me.

Ever Since my sophomore year, when we were still just friends, Ben and I would go to Buck Creek Park to hang out, talk, and just get away from campus. Over time this had become a special place to us, it was also the place where we shared our first kiss.

However, on this night I was kind of being a brat. I hadn't seen many of my friends the entire semester being that I was in Australia. I wanted to take every opportunity to see them and visit with them. So I started making a big deal about only being at Buck Creek for a little bit because everyone else was at Anthony's and we would miss them if we took too long. He kept assuring me that we would get there when everyone was still there.

We pulled into the parking lot. I had taken my shoes off during the drive since they were hurting my feet at JS. They were strappy sandal-like things. While I was putting my sandals back on, Ben was in the trunk getting something out. When he came back around he had two candlesticks, a blanket and Dr. Pepper. We love Dr. Pepper! We walked out on the jetty, surrounded by water on three sides. As we were walking out, I was again being my bratty self, complaining that my shoes were still hurting my feet and that I had put one sandal on looser then the other. We laid out the blanket at the end of the jetty, tried lighting the candles (the wind kept blowing them out so we gave up), and opened the Dr. Peppers.

Ben said he wanted to come here one last time before I graduated since it was a special place to us. We reminisced about the last 3 years that we have known each other. After talking for a little bit Ben said "I got you something else," and then reached into his pocket. My reaction was like this "whaaaaaaaat..." and then he pulled out a ring box, got on one knee and asked me to marry him. I couldn't see the ring since it was dark and our candles wouldn't stay lit, but I said yes anyways :-) and then he cried.

As we left we called our families, friends from home and our camp director to tell them the news. We were able to get to Anthony's before everyone left and was able to share the news. Ben had only told our friend Tom and Anthony that he was going to ask me, so it was a pretty big surprise to everyone. I had no idea that it was coming. We talked about being married but never put a time frame on it, I had kind of expected the proposal to come later then it did. I am very excited to be marrying such an amazing and godly man.

No comments: