Thursday, January 31, 2008

First Day of Teacher Stuff

Greetings! its currently 10:00 pm and 70 degrees! I could live in this weather! Its not much warmer during the day. There has been a nice breeze and enough clouds coming through to keep it cooler and there is no humidity in the air so my hair doesn't go crazy.

Today was the first day I had to be at the school. Since this is the beginning of the school year all of the teacher orientation is going on. This makes it so much easier being on the right page! Today I met so many people, it was a bit overwhelming. I did meet my cooperating teacher and my supervisor. They seem very nice and I feel like it will be a great experience working with them. I was also able to see more than just the boarding house.

The morning started off with a staff chapel, where the chaplain gave a challenge to the staff. After the chapel service they named off all the new staff and had them stand, and then they introduced me, it was sort of scary! But I think it was good that people knew I was not only new to the school, but also to the country. So many people were so nice and helpful, but I think that is just Australia in general. People are so laid back and patient here. (The money is a bit different and the coins are different denominations than in the states so going to the store is a little challenging and intimidating, but all the cashiers have been so nice about it!)

Bev Moyle, my cooperating teacher, showed me around the Middle School building. Instead of the students moving from room to room with their schedule, the teachers move, but I will have to get used to that. I was happy to learn that the school is very technologically suited. All of the students from the Middle School through the Senior school have laptops and the classrooms are equipped with projectors. This is a big difference from the last school I had a field experience in. Through out the school year each of the grades get to have a week long camp and the seventh grade camp will have theirs the 9th week of the term and I have been invited to come along. I love camp! So I think I will definitely take the opportunity.

After today I am even more excited to get started. Scared, but still excited!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are off to a great start. We are here in the northwest freezing to death and you are basking in 70 degree nights - I am so jealous.