Saturday, February 2, 2008

I Can't Wait!

Hello friends!

Today marked my first full week here and I have done soooo much this past week. It feels like I have been here much longer than 7 days, but that just means that I have only 76 days left here. I know that they are going to fly by so fast!

Last night I met a couple more of the Jr. Mistresses (what Jess and Jaimi are). They do a lot of work in the boarding houses. They take turns staying the night and working in the office. I guess they have a pretty sweet deal. They have to put in so many hours during the semester (about 18/hrs per week) and the school gives them a place to live, pays their household bills, and provides food for them. They are all about my age and most of them go to Uni - I wish I had that opportunity while I have been at school!

Today I went to the market with Jess and her sister Sarah. I guess I would compare it to the Pike Place Market in Seattle. There were people playing instruments, painting faces and making balloon animals for kids. It was pretty crowded today. Some people do all of their grocery shopping here! It was almost chaos! But it was fun :-)

Later I finally moved into my room. Over the past week I have been told I will be in like 4 different rooms! I guess I would be most happy in the room I ended up in. The first room they were going to put me in didn't have air conditioning and pretty small. The second room was right by the boarders kitchen, the stairway and the common room and I guess the girls blow dry their hair right outside the room in front of the big mirror in the hallway. The third room was huge! I mean it used to be their chapel but they split it up with a lot of partial walls and has about 4 rooming areas some couches and a tv. Not that I would complain about that but some of the girls use that as a common room and its HUGE! Like it would be scary to sleep in. The room I ended up in is big, has three beds and three closets. I like it. I will have to post some pictures. I still have my bedding here at the house, I didn't really want to sleep in the empty boarding house. Yeah kind of creepy.

Things are going really well. School officially starts for the students Tuesday. On Monday we have a few more teacher sessions. I will most likely be paired with another teacher so that when I am teaching full time I can get enough classes in. My cooperating teacher teaches Maths, SOSE (Social Studies), and English so I will have to figure something out for the times that she is teaching English. I really can't wait to get started with the students!

Thanks for visiting my blog, leave me a comment so I know that you are reading, you don't need an account. I miss being back at CU this last and final semester, but this has been an experience of a lifetime!

4 comments:

Valerie and Tom said...

Love you and miss you Chelsie, looks like you are having a great time, post some more pictures! (Was not able to post without having an account) Have been looking for you on skype but you are never on when I am.

smithn83 said...

heres a comment, "so that you know i'm reading." ;-)
and not sure how much baseball news travels down under, but my 2nd favorite team landed Erik Bedard from the orioles

Anonymous said...

I am reading - I check all they time and I can't beleive what a great opprotunity this is for you! Have a great time and try to slow time down, it will go fast. Praying for you!

Mom T

Anonymous said...

I am reading, nothing more was written. I hope that means you are busy having a great time and spending every waking moment taking in the experience and enjoying it. Love you and miss you, mom