Thursday, February 7, 2008

School is Up and Going

Hello Again friends and family!
I apologize for the lapse in posting something new. Now that I am living in the boarding house I am unable to connect to the school's network and internet connection. I brought my laptop to computer services but since i have Media Center Edition on my laptop I guess they are having some problems getting it set up. Having worked at Computer Services at the beginning of the school year I totally know what the two techs are going through, their office is full of student laptops. Each Middle and Senior school student is given a laptop (I think as a part of tuition?). As I have said before, I am really excited to be able to have technology as a part of lessons. I haven't really had an opportunity to integrate teachnology into my teaching in any other field experience.
School started on Tuesday for the students. This week I am only observing and doing assistant work. I have learned a lot so far. I think that it is very valuable to be around at the very beginning of the school year and learn how to start a year off. Mrs. Moyle is a very gifted teacher and I am blessed to have her as my cooperating teacher. She has such a control and organization over her classroom whilst the students show her so much respect. This also leads me to a prayer request. I NEED another cooperating teacher in order to fulfill my requirements. Mrs. Moyle teaches SOSE (Society and Environment, Social Studies), Maths, and English. I need to pick up at least another Math and SOSE class in order to teach full time during my middle weeks when I am supposed to be up to full time. I have a couple weeks of cushion time for all this to work out. My supervisor is very busy now since its the beginning of the school eyar so hopefully things will settle down soon.
SOOOOOO....Now on to some exciting news! I rode the tram all by myself into the city and made it back to the school in one piece, a little late for dinner, but alive! I think its kind of a rite of passage, even the kids take the tram by themselves. I am excited to be able to get around on my own. Jaimi and Jess have shown me how to get places on the tram so I knew what to do and where to get off.
Here are a few pictures that I haven't posted, they are from the day Jess and I went down to the beach. It was a semi-cloudy day but still warm.

(It's not Starbucks ;-) )

2 comments:

chels said...

hey chels! i really enjoy reading this. i'm a little jealous that you are somewhere so beautiful to do your student teaching. i'm praying for you, and these pictures are gorgeous! i'm glad you found some coffee!

Anonymous said...

Not Starbucks?!? - but does it work? I am enjoying your posts - this will also be a great thing for you to have when you are home. It will be great to look back on these posts and remember.